53 Cowansview Road, Cambridge, Ontario

Trail Head Customs

Trail Head Customs - Tillsonburg, Ontario- trevor@trailheadcustoms.ca

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:53 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I think it's time to start my build thread as it's starting to get interesting... Here is my jeep, fresh off the lot:

I bought my Sahara in April 2015 with half a notion of taking it off road one day... Well, "one day" is July 4... 2.5 months later. My focus at the moment is preparation for my first trail run. Turns out there's a lot to do just to be "reasonably ready". Key priorities:
- protection
- tools and recovery gear
- specific items of high usefulness (more nice to have, but worth it).

With that in mind, here's a summary I've added to my Jeep to date (pictures follow):

Rugged Ridge sun shade
This is a nice-to-have. First day I ran with the top off for any length of time, I got a bit too much sun. While this won't prevent it, it'll take longer. Added benefits include keeping some bugs out, and moderating the wind a bit. I'm happy with it. The only downside is it shares the outer footman loops with the soft top so it's an extra step swap the user of the footman loops when opening/closing the top.
Here you also see a picture of my CB installation.

CB Radio
Most folks in the club recommend a CB for convoying to trail runs and on the trails. I found this CB for $40 at a nearby truckstop. I liked the size of the unit figuring it would fit nicely in the jeep above the mirror. Many of the more professional units are longer and would be more obstructing in the space-constrained dash of the jeep. The microphone is clipped to the roll cage bar by the drivers seat, and the cord tucked out of the way by the visor. I use an auto-retractor to pull the cable back into the front-left corner. 18' of antenna cable worked perfectly to get to the tailgate (along the roll bar on the passenger side).

Soft top window roll-up storage bag
This is handy to have for two reasons: a) it protects the windows from scratches, and b) it stores them neatly, compactly and conveniently hanging off the back seat headrests (although they recommend hanging it from the rollcage -- but that blocks your rear-view mirror). However, it's a little larger than it needs to be and thus takes a lot of space to lay it out and is a bit awkward to put the windows in. Being primarily felt, it also picks up junk off the ground really quickly. I'm thinking the hood is probably the best place to roll/unroll it (after all, that's kinda what the flat hood was designed for -- rolling out a map).

Tuffy Security enclosure
Being a city dweller, this was important and probably the most useful item I've purchased so far. I can now lock stuff in the back (say my work laptop) with confidence it'll be there when I get back to my vehicle when the top is off. It's a bit expensive, but if you like the top off/down, worth every penny.

Rock rails, safari mirrors and some decals
The rock rails, I've been told, may catch on stuff -- but we'll see. Apparently there are better options (like the custom ones from JP) but they weren't available in time. The safari mirrors seemed like a good idea at the time. These vibrate too much to be of any use. I'm exploring options for those.

With the hitch-mounted bike carrier:

Harken Hoist
The hoist was a bunch of extra work due to my garage situation:
a) It's a low ceiling.
b) I can't drill into the ceiling as there is plumbing above it and it's got extra insulation, etc).
But it wasn't anything a bunch of creativity, lag bolts and other hardware, some heavy gauge steel and some terrific fabrication work by Terry couldn't solve...

I can just sneak under it to install back on the jeep. But I can park the front end under it really easily.

Continuing with underbody bits in next post....

Last edited by fjk on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:58 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

:-) Excellent!

I just did my Snorkel tonight, but the instructions for how much to cut from the hood inner sucked. I just noticed it was biting the snorkel a bit, and trying to clear it with a disc grinder while holding a flash light in your mouth at night times SUCKS!! I've jambed a wooden shim in there to protect the plastic and I'll address it at camp tomorrow night Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Attachments:
IMG_20150702_161708_hdr.jpg
IMG_20150702_161708_hdr.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 14641 times ]

( )_) ( )_)-)_)

D.Gallois - The Prodical Son
2015 JK RUBICON
2013 JK SAHARA UNLIMITED

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:20 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Teraflex 0-3" quick disconnects
I didn't want to spend a lot of time connecting and disconnecting my swaybar when I get to the trail. So I picked up the quick disconnects. This will work better when I have a lift. Because the parked sway bar links will rub with the tire when turning hard and articulated, tire damage is a real possibility. looks like I'll be removing the sway bar instead of just disconnecting it. To add insult to injury, the swaybar is now rotated considerably higher than stock. As a result, it contacts the edge of hole in the frame:

OR-FAB Engine skid plate
I originally wanted the Rock Hard 4x4 skid plate, but it would have taken too long to get in (and I would have missed my July 4 target). I wanted a frame-mounted skid, not one that attaches to the oil pan itself. So I settled with the OR-FAB HD engine skid. The jury is out on whether or not this was a good plan: If sway bar knocking wasn't bad enough, the front driveshaft contacts the drivers side bracket (loudly) under the following conditions:
  • Hard braking
  • Hard acceleration in reverse in 4WD
  • Hard/sudden turning to the right
  • I suspect when articulating with the drivers wheel high, I'll experience similar issues.
Still working to solve this.

Damage on skid bracket:

Damage on driveshaft:

The rest of the skid plate:

A lift would probably help all this. So it's next on the list. Next priorities:
  • Lift: 2.5" AEV DualSport XT (same as Dave S. and David G.)
  • Tires: BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2, probably 33" since I've got 3.21 gears.
  • Headlights: Grote or Trucklite LEDs (likely the latter are heated -- good for Canadian winters).
  • Anything else that I identify as being required after my first trail run.

Last edited by fjk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

dgallois wrote:
I just did my Snorkel tonight, but the instructions for how much to cut from the hood inner sucked. I just noticed it was biting the snorkel a bit, and trying to clear it with a disc grinder while holding a flash light in your mouth at night times SUCKS!! I've jambed a wooden shim in there to protect the plastic and I'll address it at camp tomorrow night Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Terry and I were talking about how poor some of these instructions were. :-( However, I know who to talk to if I ever install a snorkel! :-D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:16 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Swung by Terry's tonight to tweak a few things:

Relocated the sway bar link parking brackets to save me the hassle of yanking off the sway bar. Also, cut off those tubes in the frame so the sway bar has lots of room now. Terry also moved the oil pan skid mount a little higher to a bit more clearance for the drive shaft. It still hits it, but it takes a lot of effort to do it. Hopefully it'll be good enough for the trail run this weekend.

Need. Lift.

/Fjk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:24 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

All in all, I'm quite happy with how things worked out on the trails:
- The sunscreen did nicely to keep out the bugs. I ran in sunrider with the windows up and A/C off (on days with temps > 25 C) and was quite comfortable.
- The rock rails did their job protecting the body of the jeep. Mostly. Noticed that the brackets bent the seam at the bottom of the body at the rear a bit. The oil pan skid adjustment worked fairly well too, only tapped it once or twice over the whole weekend. For the rest, the skid plates did their job.
- The CB came in quite handy. Also worth it.

Having the lowest jeep in the group (everyone else either has spacer lifts and/or bigger tires except the one stock rubicon -- but even that has taller suspension than a stock Sahara) I was rubbing things often... That 2.5" lift will help immensely. The lift gets installed on July 15. New tires/wheels forthcoming soon after. BFG A/T KO2s will be the tire of choice. Just need to locate the procomp rims I want.

What else is next after lift and wheels?
- Probably an air compressor (an under-hood ARB, locker-ready model so if I ever get lockers installed, I've got the compressor).
- LED headlights

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

You will notice the silence after the lift. No more scraping noises from high centering on pretty much everything.

On the other options, you might want to explore alternatives like electric lockers and going with off-road LEDs and regular headlights. There will be lots of pros and cons to the different options but in my opinion electric lockers are good and generally cheaper than ARB air lockers. I have the Auburn Ected in my rear and it works like a charm. And it's a limited slip in regular mode.
I went with regular halogen headlights because I don't need LED power day to day and picked up a set of 2x3 floods for $40 on Amazon to use off-road if I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

All done! AEV DualSport XT 2.5" lift, Procomp 86 Series 17x9" wheels and BFG 33" KO2 tires.

looks good if I can say so myself...

Next: onboard air system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by fjk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:05 pm 
OF4WD Representative
OF4WD Representative

Looking good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:38 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

Nice job Fred! Congrats and I hope you enjoy it.

( )_) ( )_)-)_)

2015 JK RUBICON
2013 JK SAHARA UNLIMITED

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:24 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

Looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

Looks great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:40 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Before and after comparison of the lift + tire installation on my rig:

Attachment:
IMG_6510_xBeforeAfterLiftAndTires.jpg
IMG_6510_xBeforeAfterLiftAndTires.jpg [ 277.44 KiB | Viewed 14442 times ]

Can't wait to try out on the trails in August!

Last edited by fjk on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:42 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Went wheeling in Minden on the August long weekend for the first time since the lift -- what a difference! Sadly, the Can Opener on Black Lake scratched all 4 new rims. That said, I was not the only one to suffer rim scratches

Other additions before the trail run:
- ARB on-board air compressor kit (which came in handy as I had a leaky tire after Black Lake due to crap jammed between the side wall and rim).
Attachment:
IMG_6738_edit.JPG
IMG_6738_edit.JPG [ 185.86 KiB | Viewed 14442 times ]

- Gas door cover
Attachment:
IMG_6740_edit.JPG
IMG_6740_edit.JPG [ 122.22 KiB | Viewed 14442 times ]

- Husky Xact contour mats for the front (handy given how muddy Black Lake was)
- BestTop seat-back organizer

I've got a tailgate organizer on order to hopefully organize some more odds and ends in the back and make some of the frequently accessed items easier to get at.

Last edited by fjk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:54 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

New goodies! I spent an entire afternoon and evening installing new stuff on my jeep last friday! This is what it looked like before installing things, but after relocating the vacuum pump):

Attachment:
File comment: After relocating the vacuum pump, before installing stuff.
IMG_6744_20150821_162034.jpg
IMG_6744_20150821_162034.jpg [ 1017.66 KiB | Viewed 14352 times ]

What was installed (in addition to the relocation kit for the vacuum pump):
- An OR-FAB mid-width winch bumper with hoop (83230). Now that I have 2 OR-fab products and so now I've got the stickers on, too
- Daystar spare tire bump stops (replaces the stock bump stops which are now quite short with the new spare tire)
- Rigid Industries D2 60 degree LED floods (kit 50251, ~3000 lumen combined) with Rugged Ridge windshield base mounts.
- RTX 1918 LED flood lights (2700 lumen combined)
The extra lights were purchased to make life easier for a night run we planned for Aug. 22. And they worked wonderfully.

All installed:
Attachment:
File comment: The new bumper and lights, all installed.
IMG_6749_edit.JPG
IMG_6749_edit.JPG [ 820.26 KiB | Viewed 14352 times ]

All I need to do is sort out a bracket for the license plate (thinking an AEV Hawes fairlead-based bracket) and fill the winch spot with a winch -- perhaps a Smittybuilt X02 Gen2 12K winch (with synthetic line).

Last edited by fjk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:05 pm 
President
President

Take a look at my license plate holder I got from Staangs Fab. I like it and works well with Haws fairlead mount

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:14 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

JP wrote:
Take a look at my license plate holder I got from Staangs Fab.

Got a picture? (I'd use your profile picture for reference, but your plate seems to be a little bit submerged. :) ) Going to be at meetup tonight?

/FjK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:24 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I picked up a Staang's Fab license plate mount for the front last weekend. I also have Trucklite Heated LED headlights in now. The high-beams are really good. The lo-beams are better than stock as well -- throws light nice and wide.

Now the incandescent fogs look weird (colour-wise) when running along with the headlights:
Attachment:
IMG_20150920_0178_edit.JPG
IMG_20150920_0178_edit.JPG [ 336.7 KiB | Viewed 13843 times ]

So I'm thinking LED fogs now too. Anybody have any experience with the JW Speaker 6145s? Found them via this video. Update: There are now JW Speaker 6145J fog lights that include the anti-flickr bits. I ended up ordering the anti-flickr harnesss in the video, but the cross border bits are a hassle.

Up next (ie. on-order): AEV heat reduction hood, snorkel, rear diff cover/slider.

Last edited by fjk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:42 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

This weekend has been good! Several new bits installed.

AEV Heat Reduction Hood and snorkel:
Attachment:
IMG_0322_edit.JPG
IMG_0322_edit.JPG [ 260.7 KiB | Viewed 13844 times ]

ARB Dana 30 diff cover:
Attachment:
IMG_0320_edit.JPG
IMG_0320_edit.JPG [ 179.91 KiB | Viewed 13844 times ]

AEV rear diff slider:
Attachment:
IMG_0324_edit.JPG
IMG_0324_edit.JPG [ 228.6 KiB | Viewed 13844 times ]

The JW Speaker 6145 fog lights along with the headlights and trail lights, all lit up:
Attachment:
IMG_0318_edit.JPG
IMG_0318_edit.JPG [ 370.67 KiB | Viewed 13844 times ]

TMR Customs Delrin door hinge liners (no picture)

Last edited by fjk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:11 am 
Club Member
Club Member

looking sharp!

( )_) ( )_)-)_)

2015 JK RUBICON
2013 JK SAHARA UNLIMITED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:48 am 
Club Member
Club Member

That diff slider thing looks bombproof!
I like it - but does it get in the way of lubing that u/j?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:51 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Sure does look tough, eh. Why don't you come on over and lube that u-joint and answer that for yourself. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:36 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

fjk wrote:
Sure does look tough, eh. Why don't you come on over and lube that u-joint and answer that for yourself. :-)

So kind of you to offer - but I really couldn't deprive you of the pleasure of lubing your own u-joint. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:13 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Moar LEDs!

I upgraded my dome lights with Putco LED dome lights, and installed an LED light strip (from Canadian tire) under the Tuffy enclosure so I can see inside my trunk.

Dome lights before:
Attachment:
IMG_20151104_191313.jpg
IMG_20151104_191313.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 13762 times ]

Dome lights after (LED):
Attachment:
IMG_20151104_192946.jpg
IMG_20151104_192946.jpg [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 13762 times ]

Trunk lighting:
Attachment:
IMG_20151107_160453.jpg
IMG_20151107_160453.jpg [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 13762 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20151107_160512.jpg
IMG_20151107_160512.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 13762 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:24 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Got some new stuff!

For Christmas, I got an M.O.R.E dead pedal footrest. My left foot already thanks me.

After snow wheeling one wintry day, I discovered others couldn't hear me very well. A trip to RadioWorld in Toronto with Dave G. (who has an SWR meter) solved that. I picked up a 2' Wilson tunable antenna and installed *and tuned* it. Now I have a ~3 km range, and can be heard clearly! And bonus: It fits in my garage (no more need for the quick disconnect, which was a large part of my tuning problem).
Attachment:
File comment: New antenna!
IMG_20160220_171221.jpg
IMG_20160220_171221.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 12856 times ]

2017 UPDATE: This antenna didn't work out. While it worked great while it worked, it only lasted about a year. The stress of closing the tailgate repeatedly ended up resulting in a quick failure of the antenna (broken wire at the base). I relocated in 2017 to the front fender and replaced with a whip-style antenna.

But the real reason we went to Toronto was to pick up this big pile of goodies:
Attachment:
File comment: Pile of goodies.
IMG_20160220_171204 (1).jpg
IMG_20160220_171204 (1).jpg [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 12856 times ]

This pile includes:
  • 4.10 gears
  • ARB lockers (front and rear)
  • an ARB diff cover for the rear (to match the one up front)
  • outer axle seals for the front axle because I blew an inner axle seal on the front driver's side because "the axle was crammed full of crap"...

Can't wait to try this stuff out!

Attachment:
File comment: Rear ARB diff cover
IMG_20160304_1770_edit.JPG
IMG_20160304_1770_edit.JPG [ 4.9 MiB | Viewed 12805 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Front outer axle seals
IMG_20160304_1771_edit.JPG
IMG_20160304_1771_edit.JPG [ 704.93 KiB | Viewed 12805 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: New locker switches with the compressor switch.
IMG_20160304_1774_edit.JPG
IMG_20160304_1774_edit.JPG [ 680.07 KiB | Viewed 12805 times ]

Next items (in no particular order):
  • Truss/gussets on the front (Dana 30) axle
  • ARB breather extensions
  • Winch

Last edited by fjk on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:30 am 
Club Member
Club Member

hope it all works the way you want it to Fred!

I picked up my 2' Wilson this evening also. Haven't installed it yet, but it's on the list. Oh, I have a receipt for you also.

cheers
dg

( )_) ( )_)-)_)

2015 JK RUBICON
2013 JK SAHARA UNLIMITED

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:07 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Thanks Dave! Bring the receipt to next meeting, Guelph storm game or maybe we can catch up on the 12 th when I go to 4 Wheel Parts March madness?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:17 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

New items this month:

JW Speaker 279J LED taillights
Attachment:
File comment: JW Speaker LED Taillights
IMG_2231_edit.JPG
IMG_2231_edit.JPG [ 99.14 KiB | Viewed 12670 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: JW Speaker LED Taillights
IMG_2233_edit.JPG
IMG_2233_edit.JPG [ 113.14 KiB | Viewed 12670 times ]

Winch: Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen2 12,000 lb
Attachment:
File comment: Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen2 12,000 lb winch. I like how it sits nice and low in the ORF bumper.
IMG_2235_edit.JPG
IMG_2235_edit.JPG [ 136.22 KiB | Viewed 12670 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen2 12,000 lb winch
IMG_2244_edit.JPG
IMG_2244_edit.JPG [ 148.74 KiB | Viewed 12670 times ]

So now my recovery kit is complete:
  • Shackles on front bumper and a hitch-mounted shackle at the rear (plus factory tow hook)
  • Recovery strap
  • Winch (with wired + wireless remote and other accessories including a tree saver strap and snatch block)
  • Tow bar with adapters for bumper shackle mounts along with the necessary safety cables and magnetic lights
The only thing I *don't* keep in the jeep at all times is the tree saver strap.

The ARB Breather kit and ARTEC Dana 30 Armour kit (Truss and gussets) have both arrived but are not installed yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:38 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Thanks to Terry, the truss and diff breather kit are installed!
Attachment:
File comment: The installed truss!
IMG_20160402_151220.jpg
IMG_20160402_151220.jpg [ 903.46 KiB | Viewed 12561 times ]

2017 update: Discovered that the truss can interfere with the OIL PAN with my 2.5" lift. Be sure to check the fit of your truss if you get one.

Also, I've got a cover for the winch. (Perfect timing as we got a bunch of spring snow today!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:56 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Just passed 1 year with the Jeep. If you ask me, it's lookin' sharp. Can't wait to try out all the upgrades on the trails this year!

Attachment:
File comment: Before/after!
JeepOneYear.jpg
JeepOneYear.jpg [ 386.21 KiB | Viewed 12353 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:13 am 
Club Member
Club Member

Looks great Fred.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:19 am 

One more year of upgrades and there wont be any stock parts left!!!

Current: 2016 grey JKU Rubicon
Previous: 1997 green TJ Sport

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:00 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Haha! Yeah... I've actually done a few upgrades already this spring and have a couple more on order. Will update when it's all in! :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 am 

My wife Brooke (aka bamblue) and I did a bunch of upgrades as well. Its twice as expensive because we have two Jeeps to outfit. We had to stop though because our credit card has melted lol.

Current: 2016 grey JKU Rubicon
Previous: 1997 green TJ Sport

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:12 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

2017 update!

A bunch of new goodies so far this year!

- New (used) tires: 305/70R17 BF Goodrich KM2s
- New rims: AEV Borah with protection ring
Attachment:
File comment: New rims and tires!
IMG_20170506_144251-EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20170506_144251-EFFECTS.jpg [ 3.51 MiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

What a difference MT tires make (compared to the KO2s). I'll still use the KO2s for winter!

- Thinking my CB wasn't working (someone I talk to frequently couldn't hear me on CH 1-7), I replaced it with a Uniden Pro 510XL, replaced the antenna cable, and relocated and replaced the antenna (which WAS broken) with a 3' whip, to the front fender:
Attachment:
File comment: New CB
IMG_4741_edit.JPG
IMG_4741_edit.JPG [ 142.69 KiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Relocated antenna
IMG_4739_edit.JPG
IMG_4739_edit.JPG [ 167.63 KiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

Turns out, though, it was the other person who had the problem because with the new setup, they still couldn't hear me on those channels. New setup works quite well!

- While winter wheeling in March, I destroyed my trailer wiring harness, so needed to do something to fix it and make it less vulnerable (stock location hangs below the bumper; it's a wonder it survived as long as it did). Solution? A Poison Spyder RockBrawler rear bumper with a custom-cut hole for the wiring harness:
Attachment:
File comment: Rear bumper w/ relocated wiring harness
IMG_20170422_173230.jpg
IMG_20170422_173230.jpg [ 3.83 MiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

Nice and tidy!

- With the new bumper comes the opportunity for new lights! But, this would be the straw that broke the camels back: too many wires going through the firewall. So I also purchased a SwitchPros 8 switch panel. I spent a weekend re-wiring all my accessory lighting and adding a relay to shut off the air compressor and CB when the ignition is off (so I don't forget them on):
Attachment:
File comment: SwitchPro panel with 5 switches.
IMG_20170715_230909.jpg
IMG_20170715_230909.jpg [ 320.9 KiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

- I was quite disappointed with the (cheap, dim) Poison Spyder LED lights that I got with the bumper, so I quickly replaced them with KC Hilites Cyclones!
Attachment:
File comment: KC Hilites Cyclone lights in the rear bumper
IMG_20170627_210056_1.jpg
IMG_20170627_210056_1.jpg [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

- Being quite pleased with the KC Hilites Cyclones, I added another pair of Cyclones in the engine bay:
Attachment:
File comment: KC Hilites Cyclone lights in the engine bay
IMG_20170715_221422.jpg
IMG_20170715_221422.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

- And added a KC Hilites Cyclones 6 pc rock light kit:
Attachment:
File comment: KC Hilites Cyclone rock lights
IMG_20170715_221530.jpg
IMG_20170715_221530.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

- And finally, added the Teraflex HD hinged carrier:
Attachment:
File comment: Teraflex HD hinged carrier
IMG_20170610_113139_1.jpg
IMG_20170610_113139_1.jpg [ 3.22 MiB | Viewed 6003 times ]

In May, I swamped the jeep and it ended up needing an engine rebuild as a result (failed rear main seal). And now it's leaking oil. So better stop with the upgrades and focus on repairs for now... :( On the bright side: the outer axle seals on the front and the diff breathers both did their job in keeping my axles nice and sealed... Those were definitely worth the money.
Attachment:
File comment: Swamped!
image(2).jpg
image(2).jpg [ 126.12 KiB | Viewed 6002 times ]