53 Cowansview Road, Cambridge, Ontario

Trail Head Customs

Trail Head Customs - Tillsonburg, Ontario- trevor@trailheadcustoms.ca

Extreme Terrain Off-Road Outfitters

Extreme Terrain Terrain - support@extremeterrain.com

It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:00 pm 

I was hoping someone might provide some recommendations as to what winter tires might be a good choice for my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:11 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

Michelin x-ice xi3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

gawettla wrote:
Michelin x-ice xi3

x2.
But I'd also expand that to any of the STUDLESS ice tires.
IMHO, winter tires that are pierced to accept studs need studs in them to be effective on ice - like the Wrangler Duratrac's (and Wrangler Territories before them) that I run (and love) during the other 3 seasons. They have the snowflake, and holes for studs, and suck on ice.
In comparison, the Toyo Open Country G-02 plus studless ice tires I run in winter (for my 120 km round trip commute) work really well on ice (as do the X-Ice xi3's on my wife's car, and the blizzaks she had before them).
The Toyos also seemed to outperform all the MT's and other agressive deep tread tires that people were using in the deep snow of Terry's field on our "Winter Fun Day" a year or two back (packing down and driving over the snow instead of just digging huge holes in it).
And if you're wondering why I seem to be fixated on ice, I'll leave you with a comment that one of the guys once made that I think sums it up really well ... "Snow'll get ya stuck ... but ice'll kill ya!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:52 am 

yeah it's too bad you guys can't run studs down there. almost every vehicle up here run studs and they make all the difference in the world.

the nokian Hakkapeliitta are some of my favourite choices.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am 

Thanks very much for the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:23 am 

Any recommendations on where to buy in KW and/or to go for installation? I've never bought snow tires before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

Why not go with an all year round tire that will give you what want for the winter but will also work for off road and every day driving. Good year Dura track are an At that carry the snowflake mark BFG All Terrain use to carry the snow flake mark. I used to have them as my winter set and the newer AT KO2 look even better. Just a thought. They would also add to the look of the Jeep. I am sure there are other brands that have the same idea of tire.

As for installers our sponsors. Cambridge Tire would be you closest one to KW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:21 pm 

^^ That's a good suggestion, thanks.

I guess I could sell the Firestones that come with the TH.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:55 pm 
OF4WD Representative
OF4WD Representative

I have the duratracs myself, on two jeeps, and they are great in the snow and slush, but Tyke is correct they are not as good on the ice compared to a dedicated studless ice tire. I'm not saying they are horrible, as they are better than all seasons, just noticeably not as good as the dedicated ice tires.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:00 pm 

Hmm, so many options to think about. With the Wrangler Duratrac, I'm a bit concerned about road noise. My TH is my daily driver. But I do like the look of them and the idea of not having to maintain two sets of tires.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:44 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

What's your tire size? If it's 245/65/17 I don't think the duratrac's come in that size

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:59 pm 

You're right. They don't come in 245/65R17

Bummer. But I have read threads where people have put them on Trailhawks. ..? I know nothing of tires, sadly. Prior to my TH, I drove things like Hyundai Elantras. A cheap, reliable car for commuting. All I did was put gas in it and drive it I don't commute anymore and finally bought a vehicle with some fun factor.

Here's a thread where someone has Duratracs on a TH. http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/41-wheels-t ... atrac.html

Though, he mentions 245/70R17, but the Canadian Tire vehicle selection thing, put my TH as having 245/65R17.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:12 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

First and foremost I recommend club sponsors as a fist stop to shop! However I had a very difficult time finding winter tires for my fiat. The Tire Depot in Cambridge was able to get me a set that was well under what others quoted and the performance on my daily winter drive to and from Toronto was never and issue.
http://www.thetiredepot.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:38 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

My guess is that this vehicle is going to be 99.99% street driven, so in my opinion I'd get a set of actual winter tires.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 pm 

You are probably right, re: street time. I do want to take it offroad more, but there just aren't many spots around here that I know of. I get tired of looking for muddy construction sites, or unassumed roads :)

I'm getting up early tomorrow and going to Ganaraska forest. It's only $30 for a motorized vehicle pass and they are Jeep friendly. I don't suspect the trails designated for motorized passenger vehicle will be terribly challenging or demanding, but it's better than nothing.

I'm also going on the OF4WD Newbie Run next Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 pm 
Club Member
Club Member

I found a site that is immensely helpful in researching tires - https://tiresize.com/comparison/
You can find info about tires in your stock size, figure out different widths that are equivalent diameter, see what sizes you could find with different rum diameters, etc. And they show tire brands for those a sizes along with (US) online stores that carry them. Expect to pay a bit more in Canada, but you can window shop and compare relative prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk